He said "Yellow"

After two weeks of school in a total communication (TC) classroom where the teachers use signed exact english and speak concurrently, Burke has learned his colors and the beginning of his ABC's. Everyday he asks to go to school, even on Sundays and then signs "crying" after I say "no school today".  Regardless of the day (school or no school) we sit together at lunchtime and do a review of what Burke is learning. Usually this involves him quizzing me on my colors in sign. So the other day, this is how it went: I bring out two or three different colored bowls and ask him which colored bowl he wants. Burke then points to each and tells me what color it is, then gives himself a choice of which bowl he wants (and usually chooses blue). The other day, he chose yellow and instead of doing the sign (think of a hang loose sign) he looks up at me with those big blue eyes of his and promptly says "ye-yo" for yellow...aaaahhh...that was a huge amazing step for Burke to spontaneously articulate a difficult word and do it without me prompting him over and over...I think I applauded him for at least a minute (he liked that part!)

Comments

Tara Jacobs said…
Chris, It is so wonderful to hear how quickly Burke is learning. The door was just waiting to be opened. I am so very impressed by your committment at home and for there being a TC classroom for Burke. Working in a rural area, our resources are so limited and it hurts my heart to not have these types of things available for the families I work with. Keep up the good work. Maybe some day Burke can come help me teach :)
Catherine L said…
Love the new pic at the top and yay for saying yellow! I recently asked our deaf teacher about colours and she said all her deaf kids who use sign know they colours much earlier than kids who don't sign.

Catherine and the boys in LA
Catherine L said…
ps and Burke's glasses are so similar to Reuben's except that Callum (10m) refuses to let him wear them as he keeps wanting to chew on them. Cx
go burke go! that is awesome progress. you must be sooooo proud!

i love too that he is asking for school. what a great understanding of events...places to go, etc. wow!

Popular posts from this blog

7/6/06 Mommy & Baby Burke

9-26-06 We're Going HOME!