9-26-06 We're Going HOME!

YES, it's official!...we're GOIN HOME! OH MY! In exactly three months Burke has managed three major surgeries, two major procedures,3 nosocomial (hospital acquired) infections, two rounds in the NICU, a million x-rays and florostudies, rounds and rounds of expert opinions and even more trials of ways to feed and gain weight.

As of today, Burke has doubled his weight to 8 lbs and is taking in the appropriate amount of milk by a bottle (binky trainer good bye!)! His esophagus and stomach are slowly but surely starting to coordinate themselves appropriately and Burke is now HUNGRY when his tummy is empty and HAPPY when his tummy is full of mommy's milk! We've managed to convince Children's Hospital Surgical Team, Dieticians, Residents and Feeding therapists that premies with surgical complicaton CAN grow and gain weight on breastmilk alone through a process called Lactoengineering...I've even been asked to publish an article for the Journal of Human Lactation about our experience and the methods we've used to help Burke gain weight! I can't even explain in words the overwhelming feelings of joy and fear that I have at this moment. I am assured that the timing is in God's hands and is always perfect. I know that we will meet new challenges in our home environment but strongly believe we're stepping forward on the path to a healthy recovery for our little family.

Comments

Auntie Jody said…
WOW! I am truely amazed and feel even more blessed that I got to witness His work in progress! I am so happy for you guys! I have been silently following your story (because of Amy) and have been praying for your little one. Now begins the "fun" part! Enjoy!

Love Jody Stahl
Anonymous said…
Great news!! I can't wait to read the article you write also.

Tami McKinley
Anonymous said…
nate and chris,
Mom called me today to give me the great news. I'm so happy for all of you. I cannot wait till the nelson clan re-unites this friday/saturday.
Congrats Chris on the offer to write the article for that medical journal. I'm proud of you. You have been on top of this from the beginning. I'll see the 3 of you soon,
-derek
Awesome! Great to see the miracle of Burke unfold!

love Bubba
Anonymous said…
YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!!
I am absolutely thrilled that you get to go home!! I believe with all my heart that Burke will really thrive being out of the hospital and in his home. I'm so proud of you & Nate for trusting the Lord through all of this. What a long haul this has been, but He has been SO faithful through it all!! "Ohh... thank you, Jesus!!! You have done GREAT things!"

I love you guys SO much!!

love,
auntie amber :)

p.s. I think Burke looks like his Mommy! :)
Anonymous said…
Little Burke is free! Just in time for hours and hours of spoiling...by me. Can't wait to see ya'll tomorrow night. You won't even notice the pitched tent in your backyard or living room. Hope you are ready?? haha, love you.

auntie jill

p.s. I hope 9ish isnt too late to stop in?? let me know. Right now my phone is drying out from a water spill...so hopefully i can get a hold of you before i get there.
Anonymous said…
Rooted in Jesus and standing firm. You go Nate and Chris. And praise God for family. It has been a blessing to have been introduced to your families thru this blog. Can I come to the family reunion?

Yeah baby Burke!!!! FINALLY GOING HOME MY BOY !!!!!! Oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah....dancing here and praising the Lord.

Love and hugs
Anonymous said…
Words can not express the joy and happiness that we felt when we heard the good news. It was an emotional day but ohhhhhhh so sweet. Many prayers have been answered. See you all soon.
Grandpa Gary and Grandma Rosie
Anonymous said…
Praise Jesus!! So happy that you all are going to be home together as the cute little family you are! We'll be praying that Burke continues to grow and heal. Love you guys!!
Anonymous said…
Praise God! God is a faithful God! What a blessing to see God's glory through the life of little Burke!
Anonymous said…
You all deserve some good news after what you've been through with your sweet Baby Burke and what could be better than bringing him into a home where he has two loving parents! It's been a long road for you with a lot of heartache and worry, but now you get to start being a normal family. Congratulations and love to you all!

Hi to Julie, Gerry, the boys, and all your wonderfully supportive family and friends!

Deb
Anonymous said…
I just want to say that I am very happy for all three of you and hope to see you real soon. God has done great things with all of you.
Praise The LORD.
Love to all,
Jeff,Michelle,Denise,Amanda

Popular posts from this blog

7/6/06 Mommy & Baby Burke

8-20-06 Surviving the Hospital