7/14/06 I love my morphine (a little too much)


Uh oh...baby Burke now clearing his next hurdle... morphine withdrawls! For the past 2 weeks he's been getting small amounts of morphine for pain control and today, we discovered that if he doesn't get it for long periods of time, he gets a little bit fussy! He is doing fine (no worries) but his body will need to be slowly weaned from the morphine over the next few days. Overall he had a great day though. I held him for almost 2 hrs...he slept for the first hour and then woke up and gazed at me while sucking away on his little binky...soooo cute! He changes so much everyday...I'm always so encouraged by how much stronger (and more handsome) he seems as each day goes by. His lungs, heart and esophagus are all working well. He's almost off the oxygen completely (they'll remove the nasal canula from his nose soon!) The surgeon reassured us again that his esophagus is healing much better than she expected..wow...praise God for his healing hand on our son! They've increased his feedings to 5ml/hr through his nasal gastric (NG) tube. He weighed 4# 13oz today! At some point within the next few weeks we'll teach him how to suck and swallow so he'll be able to eat more normally.

Within the next few days we hope he'll be transferred to Children's hospital where we'll be in walking distance from our condo. It will be so nice to have him closer to home although I must say that (as weird as it may sound) I will miss this place....the nurses and doctors have been amazing and we love them!

I read a great verse today that has encouraged me so much that I wanted to be sure and share it! We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, as we put our hope in you. Psalm 33:20-22

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-26-06 We're Going HOME!

7/6/06 Mommy & Baby Burke

8-20-06 Surviving the Hospital